Artificial Intelligence’s Achievements In 2021
Smart machines have learned to bluff, can outplay professionals in chess, can translate text into different languages and they can even recognize the human voice. Every week we learn about some new achievement that AI has achieved.
However, despite numerous articles on the topic, there are still some myths surrounding this field. Why is this? AI is often portrayed as humanoid robots taking over the world in science fiction films and novels, and this scares people. Individuals don’t like the thought of robots coming in and taking over the world... In reality, AI is nothing like this. It’s worlds away from being the scary, smart beast that it’s portrayed as in many films.
Creation of AI
The term “artificial intelligence” was coined in 1956 and it wasn’t too popular back then. In fact, it’s only recently that the idea of AI has been accepted as something that could be world changing.
What is AI?
So, what exactly is AI? AI is basically intelligent machines mimicking the decision making and problem solving processes of a human. AI can understand language commands, it can learn, it can respond and it’s closely linked to machine learning.
Deep learning and natural language processing are crucial for AI as they make it more efficient. These computers can also perform specific tasks and can work with large amounts of data to identify patterns.
AI is virtually everywhere and it allows people to do a wide variety of things in their day to day lives, and people don’t even realise it's there. Think about it, AI is involved in self-driving cars, smart homes and in the various apps that people have and use on their phones.
As you can see the scope of AI is quite wide. And it can be involved in almost anything, from vacuum cleaners to space stations. AI should not be regarded as something horrid but something that can move the world forward, because AI can be very beneficial across many different sectors, from the economy to healthcare, and even in retail.
Let’s take a closer look at AI and its achievements in 2021.
What can AI do?
AI can do lots of things, here are a few examples:
- AI can automate repetitive tasks;
- AI can make existing products smart;
- AI is adaptable thanks to ever-developing algorithms;
- AI can perform deep analysis of large amounts of data;
- AI can use algorithms to target audiences via marketing channels;
- You can use AI to collect copious amounts of data and AI can process this data about user’s behavior;
- AI can predict trends;
- AI can recognize images and categorize them;
- AI can write some forms of localized texts.
So, with all of this in mind, how can AI be used in our modern world? Keep on reading to find out how.
How is AI used in tech?
- Copilot on GitHub uses AI to help users to write lines of code as they create software. This is done through the power of machine learning.
- Self-driving cars are a much talked about phenomenon today. While cars are not exactly self-driving, they can aid drivers by taking off part of the burdens of driving. Modern self-driving cars are very dependent on GPS, but scientists are currently working towards changing this. Scientists want autonomous systems to receive signals from the areas surrounding the car, rather than relying on GPS. Self-driving cars are also highly dependent on the weather. Snow, for example, hinders their work and makes getting around difficult. This problem is also being worked on.
- Neural networks is one field that is being developed in the area of artificial intelligence. Neural networks are computing systems that are based on human biological processes. They have already achieved impressive results in image recognition, medical diagnoses, text translation, image creation, speech generation and musical composition. But further work is required.
In the near future, people will be surrounded by more “smart things.” And they will most likely become smaller and more efficient. Contrary to popular belief, artificial intelligence will probably create more jobs, though these might be professions that haven’t existed before.
The more people that use AI, the more they tend to trust it. It has already become an indispensable part of people's lives. Of course, AI will require thorough testing before it can be used seamlessly in the world, and QA engineers will do their best to make sure that the technology works smoothly.